I coach academics who want to write non-academic stories.
- Do you have an unfinished novel languishing in a drawer or in the cloud?
- Do you have a story about your life that you feel compelled to tell?
- Do you want to bring your expertise in research-intensive non-fiction to audiences outside of academia?
- Or maybe you’re just ready for a new challenge, and writing a book is it?
I serve writers with backgrounds in academia who want to write differently. I know from firsthand experience that academics are often discouraged from exploring new kinds of writing. And we are constantly bombarded with cultural messages telling us that we aren't "creative" or that our ideas are too narrow and not worthy of a broader audience. Often we are told it's simply safer to "stay in your lane."
As a coach, I help clients who have decided it's time to change lanes. Who want to write or finish that novel or memoir. Who want to turn their hard-earned academic knowledge into accessible narrative non-fiction. Who want to step into a different vision of themselves and their writing.
Because here's the thing: what you lack isn't creativity or ideas, it's the right tools. That's where I come in.
My coaching gives clients the tools to:
- identify what you really want to say, and why you want to say it
- structure engaging stories that make readers want to turn the page
- connect emotionally and authentically not with all readers, but with the right readers
I serve as the bridge between what you want to say and who needs to hear it.
What I bring to my coaching practice:
- rigorous training in how to coach fiction and memoir as an Author Accelerator-certified book coach
- twenty-five years of experience writing and coaching research-intensive non-fiction projects
- nearly three decades of award-winning teaching and mentoring
- creative, time-tested ideas for building processes and practices that work
- wholehearted, full-on, over-the-top love of books and the people who write them
- curiosity and empathy
Please note that I do not offer coaching on traditional academic writing projects such as journal articles, dissertations, or scholarly monographs.
I am currently taking on new clients. Review the link to my prices and packages, then use the form below to contact me to set up an initial, free, 30 minute consultation.
Prices and Packages (download PDF of info sheet)
get in touch to learn more
header image credit: @vidmuseart/Unsplash