I coach academics who want to write non-academic stories.
- Do you have an unfinished novel languishing in a drawer or in the cloud?
- Do you have a story about your life that you feel compelled to tell?
- Do you want to bring your expertise in research-intensive nonfiction to audiences outside of academia?
- Or maybe you’re just ready for a new challenge, and writing a book is it?
I serve writers with backgrounds in academia* who want to write differently.
(*Not an academic? Fear not! Read on. If it seems like I'm a good fit for you, reach out.)
I know from firsthand experience that academics are often discouraged from exploring new kinds of writing. And we are constantly bombarded with cultural messages telling us that we aren't "creative" or that our ideas are too narrow and not worthy of a broader audience. Often we are told it's simply safer to "stay in your lane."
As a coach, I help clients who have decided it's time to change lanes. Who want to write or finish that novel or memoir. Who want to turn their hard-earned academic knowledge into accessible narrative non-fiction. Who want to step into a different vision of themselves and their writing.
Because here's the thing: what you lack isn't creativity or ideas, it's the right tools.
That's where I come in. I serve as the bridge between what you want to say and who needs to hear it.
My coaching gives clients the tools to:
- identify what you really want to say, and why you want to say it
- structure engaging stories that make readers want to turn the page
- connect emotionally and authentically not with all readers, but with the right readers
What I bring to my coaching practice
- rigorous training in how to coach fiction and memoir as an Author Accelerator-certified book coach
- twenty-five years of experience writing and coaching research-intensive narrative nonfiction projects
- decades of experience mentoring writers in long-form projects
- creative, time-tested ideas for building processes and practices that work
- appreciation of the challenges and joys to be found in shifting from academic writing to other forms
- wholehearted, full-on, over-the-top love of books and the people who write them
- curiosity, empathy, and positivity - I love this work!
Please note that I do not offer coaching on traditional academic writing projects such as journal articles, dissertations, or university press books.
As of May 1, 2022, my client roster is full through August. If you wish to explore working with me after August, please review the link to my prices and packages, then use the form below to contact me to set up a free, 30 minute discovery call.
About my coaching practice, including prices and packages (download PDF of info sheet)
what clients say about working with me
"Cara was kind, compassionate, and fully invested in my story. I felt like I had an engaged reader with a professional editor’s eye on my side. Cara blends constructive criticism very well with encouragement and positive feedback. She’s definitely someone I can see myself working with long term." (Elli C.)
"Working with Cara was a true joy! I appreciated her structured approach to the coaching sessions. Her written feedback is something I go back to frequently as I continue to work on my project. With Cara's help I was able to dig deep into the story and true journey I wanted to create for my characters. Her insightful questions forced me to go beyond the surface and truly focus on the physical and emotional transformations that happen in the story." (Ed F.)
"Cara read my chapters, gave me ideas on character development and timing, and gave me tools to get organized and stay focused. I’m grateful to Cara for getting me back on track with my story." (Roberta D.)
"I wanted to work with a book coach because I needed clarity with the novel I was working on. I was stuck in a certain part and I was too close to it and I needed someone who was objective, someone who knew how stories work, someone who knew how to get me from Point A to Point B. Cara was that someone for me. She’s an excellent listener, she offered tons of insightful feedback on my work, she’s very reliable, and she’s a genuinely nice person." (Jackie C.)
get in touch to learn more
header image credit: @vidmuseart/Unsplash